Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Australian-isms

Here's what I think is weird or things I miss here.
1. When they wash dishes they don't rinse off the soap, they just wash it and put it suds and all in the drain thing. They also call dish soap "washing up liquid" same as UK.
2. They don't know what hot sauce is, I haven't had my beloved Texas Pete hot sauce in 2 months and my belly misses it.
3. Their ethnic food is Thai or Indian where I'm used to it being Mexican.
4. They say "Give us a bell" which is weird because "a bell" means to call them and they say "us" even if they are talking about just themselves. Wtf, at least I only say yall when it's more than one person.
5. They say SMS, not text. So specific!
6. A beer commercial the other day was talking about having less carbs and giving them to someone who would appreciate it...Americans! So yea, they make fun of us, openly.
7. Bell peppers are called capsicums which for at least a month I thought they were saying capskins. Wrong.
8. Chips are both french fries and chips. Only difference, hot chips is actual fries.
9. I ate at a mexican restaurant and asked for queso and I got this disgusting bowl of melted cheddar cheese that was so oily and goopy that I couldn't even eat it. No velveeta in sight.
10. They call their girlfriends "the misses" which I find endearing and slightly dated.
11. There are more people in Texas than in ALL of Australia (24 mil to 22 mil).
12. Not all Australians surf. Depressing.
13. They are a season behind on all the American TV shows, sucks for me.
14. When you order a drink they measure all the alcohol that goes into it. Meaning, you order a single, you're getting a single. Same as UK. No free pours in sight. Getting pretty expensive. :(
15. Their "rivalry" to New Zealand is like that of US to Canada. Like, "Aww, poor NZ"
16. They do not have a Forever 21 or even an H&M here, this is the most annoying/depressing thing in the world to me, as Mary and Meg would know....it's my "church".
17. Trying to order coffee is impossible. They know latte, cappuccino, mocha and so on, but to get a plain black coffee is like asking for a million dollars. It took me 5 minutes to explain that I wanted coffee, in a cup, no milk, no sugar, no foam, no chocolate...nothing!!!! Just coffee!
18. They are on the metric system but they also say pounds and miles sometimes and I get really confused. Like they weigh babies in pounds...but adults in kilograms.
19. Instead of calories they use kilojoules (which basicall means the amount of energy, but then again that's what I thought calories were too so whatever), so I have to convert YET another thing. haha
20. When Americans say "Why would I leave here, we have everything...skiing, lakes, mountains, beaches, deserts, etc...." I think....so does Australia.

No comments: